Swift Passes 3 Million Sales Mark
Suzuki’s multi award winning Swift has reached another milestone with cumulative sales passing three million in January.
First produced and sold in 2004, the stylish Swift has reached the three million sales mark in just over eight years.
It also represents the growing popularity of the car, having passed the two million sales mark just two years ago, in January 2011.
The Swift is produced around the world at plants including Hungary, India, and China. In March 2012, production and distribution also began in Thailand.
Today, the Swift is a staple of the light car diet in more than 120 countries and regions around the world.
Named Carsguide Car of the Year in 2005, the Swift has accumulated numerous awards around the globe.
In Japan, the Swift has twice won the prestigious RJC (Automotive Researchers’ and Journalists’ Conference of Japan) Car of the Year, in 2006 and 2011.
The Swift underwent a full model change in 2010, gaining seven airbags and electronic stability control (ESC) as standard equipment, while maintaining its core values of stylish design, fun to drive handling and outstanding value for money.
Australia has been an integral market for Swift, with total sales of nearly 100,000 since its launch in 2005.
India remains the world’s biggest market for Swift, accounting for 45 per cent of total sales.
- Nov. 2004: First-generation Swift as a world strategic model is released and launched in Japan
- Feb. 2005: Production begins in Hungary
- May 2005: Production begins in India
- Jun. 2005: Production begins in China
- Sep. 2005: Swift Sport is released in Japan
- Nov. 2005: Swift wins 2006 RJC Car of the Year
- Dec. 2005: Swift wins CarsGuide Car of the Year
- Jan. 2006: Swift wins 2006 Indian Car of the Year
- Jun. 2008: Cumulative worldwide production reaches one million units
- Jun. 2010: Production of new (second-generation) Swift for Europe begins at Magyar Suzuki of Hungary
- Sep. 2010: New (second-generation) Swift is launched in Japan
- Nov. 2010: New Swift wins 2011 RJC Car of the Year
- Jan. 2011: Cumulative worldwide sales reach two million units
- Mar. 2012: Production begins in Thailand
Jan. 2013: Cumulative worldwide sales reach three million units